celine
TEAM
Joined in Sep 2007

1651 post(s)
September 12, 2019
Hi All,
From Monday, you will benefit from a new fully automated update system so that you don't need to update manually anymore!
The first version that benefits from this auto-update is version 1.2.234.
HombreSinSombra
Joined in Oct 2010

1249 post(s)
September 12, 2019
Hi Celine. Will we still be able to roll back to earlier versions if the auto-updated versions have issues, etc. ?
celine
TEAM
Joined in Sep 2007

1651 post(s)
September 12, 2019
no roll back will be available :) in other words, we will only release perfectly stable updates :)
Chicsans
Joined in Jul 2009

770 post(s)
September 12, 2019 (edited)
So, as I read this, if a user does not do the ver. 1.2.234 update she will not be affected with this problem.
Spangle
Joined in Jan 2008

12 post(s)
September 12, 2019
When I did the update it said something about new joker card feature?
celine
TEAM
Joined in Sep 2007

1651 post(s)
September 12, 2019
So, as I read this, if a user does not do the ver. 1.2.234 update she will not be affected with this problem.

The update will be automatically done on Monday, no problem :)
Chicsans
Joined in Jul 2009

770 post(s)
September 12, 2019
@celine , I know that we have a bit of a language barrier here, but you are beginning to scare me with this ***** automatic update that will soon be imposed. I am now reading from your statements that all users, no matter what version of the software we are using will be ***** with the problem.

Is synchronizing with the servers on start-up, or downloading a purchased card going to trigger the ***** update?

I kind of need to know so that I can keep my computer off line when this happens. I can say good-bye to the 480 credits that I still have and call it the end of an era.
HombreSinSombra
Joined in Oct 2010

1249 post(s)
September 12, 2019
we will only release perfectly stable updates :)

With respect, Celine. Those are what we call in English... Famous last words! 😕

ckvghduser
Joined in Oct 2007

252 post(s)
September 12, 2019
Can someone, at least, tell me what is included in these updates? I get a popup on my computer that there is a New Version available on iStripper, so I look in the "Last Posts" section and can't find anything.
Chicsans
Joined in Jul 2009

770 post(s)
September 12, 2019
https://www.istripper.com/forum/thread/42773/1?post=631086
You are not allowed to see this topic or access data relative to this topic
That's the only information that I can find for this new version.

On the website front page, 1.2.234 is listed as the officially released version.
musicfalcon
Joined in Jun 2019

4 post(s)
September 12, 2019
I want to know more about this "joker card" thing!
HombreSinSombra
Joined in Oct 2010

1249 post(s)
September 12, 2019
To clarify: I have never had any problems with updates. The software has more or less always done what it said on the box. However, sometimes I've had a reason to roll back to an earlier version. Maybe for testing something or to view something not available in a new version.

For Totem to release, 'perfectly stable' versions every time will mean that their developers are super humans that never make mistakes. (I know a couple of those super humans, btw😉)

My point is if that with auto-updates, we have no choice but to wait for bug fixes. If there is a problem on a Friday evening...
Chicsans
Joined in Jul 2009

770 post(s)
September 12, 2019
@gkar45 , Yes, I know that the new version is available for downloading. It's been available for about a week now. I am just exercising my option to NOT downloadload it while I still have that freedom.
HansSachs
Joined in Mar 2016

949 post(s)
@celine I have to say that, personally, I am not happy about mandatory updates, of any software (and a ***** automatic update is a mandatory update). Users, in my opinion, should always be free to choose if update, and to choose when to do it.
Moreover, I think that such a new function should have been announced when version 1.2.234 was released. No information at all about it was given, instead.
I downloaded version 1.2.234 two days ago; but I am not so sure I would have done it, if I knew about new automatic update function.
In any case, I would ask Team to please add a setting option preventing automatic updates, for users who don't want them.
Thanks.
Chicsans
Joined in Jul 2009

770 post(s)
The update will be automatically done on Monday, no problem :)

@HansSachs , For once we agree on something. 😇

Unfortunately, in my paranoid little mind, I see these updates as being server generated during synchronization and not written into the software. That's how I read what @celine wrote.
HansSachs
Joined in Mar 2016

949 post(s)
@Chicsans Yes, I too didn't get clearly if
  • 1.2.234 will be the first version which can (and will) get automatic updates, starting next Monday
or
  • on next Monday all running versions will be updated to 1.2.234
I thought first one to be more likely to be the correct one; but yes, answer which was given to you could actually suggest second one, though.
That would not prevent me, of course, to request anyway an option on setting which could stop automatic updates.
I can tell you, however, that version 1.2.234 is good; it is pratically identical to 1.2.232, but it can play also five old cards which 1.2.232 was not able to.
T3chnology
Joined in Feb 2015

38 post(s)
September 12, 2019
Jocker cards????
Ironman79
Joined in Dec 2010

437 post(s)
September 12, 2019
Which cards?
T3chnology
Joined in Feb 2015

38 post(s)
September 12, 2019
*Joker cards
dar2112v
Joined in Dec 2007

440 post(s)
September 13, 2019
***** update?! Jocker card? April fools in September?
d00bies
Joined in Dec 2018

59 post(s)
September 13, 2019 (edited)
..or was the joker card thing a ploy to get everyone to update?.....
celine
TEAM
Joined in Sep 2007

1651 post(s)
September 16, 2019
Most of the softwares or mobile app you use do update automatically , so does Firefox for instance...
And I'm sure that you don't condition the installation of a software or app to the fact that it auto updates or not...

The main reason why we switch to this model of auto-update is because having so many different versions running simultaneously makes it really difficult to continue developing improvements (including improvements YOU are requesting) that will be compatible with all our previous versions.

The main reason why we do it now with version 1.2.234 is that this version does not contain big technical change, which means that iStripper is technically very stable :) Plus it will allow every one to get a chance to win a joker card, which is a card that you can exchange for ANY show, inclusing the Special event cards that make some of you moan :-P

goodwolf
Joined in May 2011

234 post(s)
September 16, 2019
It just updated mine without asking, so I guess then this isn't the first version to do so.
roameo
Joined in May 2019

2 post(s)
September 16, 2019
It also updated mine without asking - extremely fast and almost silent - and that is the reason why I'm totally unhappy about this new procedure :-(

Previously when I did a manual update I knew that I had to
  • remove the start-menu icons
  • delete the totally useless autostart entry (which is always put there, even though I deactivated autostart in the settings)
  • and empty my trash bin

Others in my household have access to my computer - I take care of not having iStripper running, when anybody is around, but I cannot switch accounts anytime someone enters the room. The current installation is hidden well enough for my household (there are no computer experts around) - but with the current kind of silent update it will sooner or later happen, that I do not recognize an update - and then it is way too easy do detect it by just opening the start-menu.

And yes @celine: In this aspect iStripper is very different from any Firefox or mobile-app on my smartphone!

Please: Make the auto-update optional or only by clicking "Update Now" - or make it very clear that an update has happened (e.g. by showing a window with version information, which has to be clicked away actively - like some mobile-apps already do). Or add the possibility to supress the creation of the start-menu icons and the autostart entry. Otherwise I do not see an option at the moment to avoid deinstalling iStripper completely.
HansSachs
Joined in Mar 2016

949 post(s)
September 16, 2019 (edited)
Automatic update of Firefox is deactivable, and also automatic update of mobile-apps on Android is.
We just ask to get such a deactivate function also on Istripper. As a compensation, Team could for example decide to give technical support only to members having last version installed.
Chicsans
Joined in Jul 2009

770 post(s)
September 17, 2019 (edited)
All of the apps on my mobile devices send a notification that an update is available, then asks if I want to install the update. The iOS on my Apple devices informs me that a new version is available, then asks if I want to install. Heck, even Windows10 asks me if I want to install the updates.

Let's me pretend that I have some control over my electronic devices.

***** updates without permission is just wrong.
Wyldanimal
Joined in Mar 2008

3759 post(s)
September 17, 2019
This is NOT new.
Early version of VG and VGHD also automatically updated..
I have no Issue with the AutoUpdate .

But I do Agree with what Member @roameo brought up.
https://www.istripper.com/forum/thread/42828/1?post=632704
Everything about iStripper / Auto update
It also updated mine without asking - extremely fast and almost silent - and that is the reason why I'm totally unhappy about this new procedure :-( Previously when I did a manual update I knew that I...
Please do NOT re activate the Automatic Startup with Windows, if the Startup shortcut is not Already Present.
Some of Us remove the Shortcut from the Staup folder.
Do a Check. If it doers not exist for a Current Install, Don't add it back.
Also, I always have to re-add this to my shortcut. -fromStartup

C:\Users\WyldAnimal\AppData\Local\vghd\bin\vghd.exe -fromStartup

it would be nice if I didn't have to do that each time I update.
It allows the App to start, minimized in the System Tray, and stay hidden without Opening the Main Window.

Also, a Notification that, You Desktop Player App has been Updated, with a Confirmation to close it.
Wyldanimal
Joined in Mar 2008

3759 post(s)
September 17, 2019 (edited)
@ALL

we all agreed to the Terms and Conditions when we 1st Installed the Software.
So no one can really be upset, as this is covered in the Terms and Conditions.
And YES,
if you can open and see the iStripper App, then you Agreed to the T&C during it 1st installation and Use.

It might not be spelled out word for word, but the T&C does include mandatory updates.

IX. UPDATES AND MODIFICATIONS
  • Totem Entertainment may provide Updates to the Software that must be installed for you to continue to play the Product. Each time you launch the Software to play the Product, you hereby give your consent to Totem Entertainment to remotely install any Updates to the Software that resides on your computer, with or without additional notification to you.
  • Totem Entertainment reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to revise, update, change, modify, add to, supplement, or delete certain terms of this License Agreement as the Product and the law evolve; provided, however, that material changes to this License Agreement will not be applied retroactively. Such changes will be effective with or without prior notice to you. You can review the most current version of this License Agreement by clicking on the "EULA" link located at the bottom of the Site. You are responsible for checking this License Agreement periodically for changes. If the Software requires an Update at the time you launch the Software to access the Product, you will also have the opportunity to review and to accept or reject the current version of this License Agreement. If any future changes to this License Agreement are ***** to you or cause you to no longer be in agreement or compliance with this License Agreement, you may terminate this License Agreement in accordance and must immediately stop using the Product and uninstall the Software. Your continued use of the Product following any revision to this License Agreement constitutes your complete and irrevocable acceptance of any and all such changes.

https://www.istripper.com/information/eula/display
Rex
TEAM
Joined in Sep 2007

365 post(s)
September 17, 2019
I understand users prefer to run the version they like the best, but we don't have the capacity to manage dozens of different versions running and behaving differently. Most online games update at launch no matter what because making different versions of any software work together is a nightmare. I heard the privacy issues, I'll make sure this is addressed.
Wyldanimal
Joined in Mar 2008

3759 post(s)
September 17, 2019
👍
Thanks, Boss !

You are not allowed to participate yet

As a free user of iStripper, you are not allowed to answer a topic in the forum or to create a new topic.
But you can still access basics categories and get in touch with our community !