Cropping the photos

Forum / New users corner

NotyaBusiness
Joined in Dec 2019

24 post(s)
December 7, 2019 (edited)
Hello everyone.

I have downloaded three photos from Kristina's gallery. One of them badly needs cropping since the top half of the shot is just a white mush, her beautiful face isn't centered at all.

It's for my windows wallpaper slideshow.

Now that is usually not a problem. I know how to crop a pic. Problem is that some kind of security voodoo keeps the file "read only". I've done all the usual magic spells, like unsetting read only on the file, changing admin persmission, but the file remains uneditable. I have worked with photos in my whole life but never met this issue before.

Please note it is not a windows related problem. The other files - not from here -in the very same folder can be edited and saved just fine.

Now if it is a copyright related enchantment on the photos then is it possible to have the shots cropped?

Any useful info would be appreciated.

Thank you!

PS: The photos resolution, clearity, sharpness and colors are amazing.
Dfner
Joined in Feb 2018

604 post(s)
December 7, 2019
Hi, can you please tell what specifically is the image file giving you hard time (what filename and in which Kristina's gallery)? I could test it here, too.
HombreSinSombra
Joined in Oct 2010

1249 post(s)
December 7, 2019
Let me know what you're looking for and I can almost certainly give you what you want...
NotyaBusiness
Joined in Dec 2019

24 post(s)
December 7, 2019
Thank you. The name of the file is VGI1168P01014 in Kristina's Life of a Party photo gallery.
Marcelml1979
Joined in Nov 2007

44 post(s)
December 7, 2019
Looks fine on my PC... Most images have a white space arround the girl..
Dfner
Joined in Feb 2018

604 post(s)
December 7, 2019
I just downloaded the gallery and opened this photo in Paintshop Pro. No problems whatsoever in editing and saving the photo as edited.

Maybe you should download the photo again and just in case copy the photo to some other file name before trying to edit it(?) That way there shouldn't be any open processes locking the photo(name) from changes.
HombreSinSombra
Joined in Oct 2010

1249 post(s)
December 7, 2019
Sent you a PM with the pic. We can't post pics in this part of the forum 😕
NotyaBusiness
Joined in Dec 2019

24 post(s)
December 7, 2019
Thank you all. I'll look into those options.

@HombreSinSombra No I dea where to check PM. Once I'll figure it out I'll get back to you, thank you!
NotyaBusiness
Joined in Dec 2019

24 post(s)
December 7, 2019
@Dfner I don't have PS installed now I just use a simple tool like the Windows Photos App. This never been an issue before so I will download it again to a different folder in a different name and have a go at it. I'll let you know. Thanks!
TheEmu
Joined in Jul 2012

3309 post(s)
@NotyaBusiness - I have occassionally had similar problems with read/write/ownership permissions on files extracted from zip files, though not with the iStripper image zips (I assume that you are extracting the images from the downloaded zip and not trying to edit them while still in the zip file) and have side-stepped the issue by making a copy of the file and editing that. Alternatively try "save as" to create a new file rather than just "save" which will try to overwrite the original.
NotyaBusiness
Joined in Dec 2019

24 post(s)
December 7, 2019
@TheEmu - I clicked the little floppy disk icon on the photo. It came down as a single file, no zip. I can't post photos here but I will try to link two screne shot I just made.

While @HombreSinSombre was kind enough to send me a cropped version I still am trying to find a solution. I have three photos downloaded from iStripper and all three has the same issue while every other photos in the same folder can be edited easily.

I start to think that I am doing something wrong and hopefully with you'all help I can sort it out.

So the two snapshots are:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnSeFBGTBpApmaI75qdI2ZYxwAphGQ?e=KMdD6g

and

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnSeFBGTBpApmaI8itaVc6cbuAth6w?e=uApa3k

Thank you!
TheEmu
Joined in Jul 2012

3309 post(s)
December 7, 2019
@NotyaBusiness - I see from the second image that the properties for the file show "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer" and that you have ticked the Unblock box - but have you also clicked Apply? I am groping in the dark a bit here as I have not seen this sort of problem before, and don't use OneDrive.
NotyaBusiness
Joined in Dec 2019

24 post(s)
December 7, 2019
@TheEmu Yes I have done that. But weirdly when i open properties again it is there the same way. It's quite frustrating really. Why only the files from here? Certainly makes you wonder. If I ever get a solution I will definitely post it for others to learn from it.
pumpdude48
Joined in May 2016

390 post(s)
@NotyaBusiness

I d/l every photo zip file of every card I own and then pick one to make a custom fullhd.png photo for my iStripper app. See this thread if you are curious:
https://www.istripper.com/forum/thread/37892#post630124
Everything about iStripper / Customization
On the relatively few occassions that I have removed the white background from an iStripper image I have used GIMP and have first flood filled the backgound with a vivid green (or anything that does n...
I use a program called paint.net which is free if you d/l from their website. (www.getpaint.net)

It is pretty user friendly for me and does all I need it to do.

Additionally, I have also gone to the card page for the girl I want and then browse her photos and pick one from there sometimes. The photos can be d/l and saved individually to a location of your choosing.

I have never had a problem with rights management where modifying the photos is concerned and I have done a couple hundred of them so far.

HTH
stefnev1
Joined in Jul 2008

4440 post(s)
December 8, 2019
@NotyaBusiness
I've just downloaded this file using the GUI like you and I can do everything with it. There's no copy protection.
I'm using iStripper 1.2.240 with Windows 10 1909 64 bits edition.
HombreSinSombra
Joined in Oct 2010

1249 post(s)
December 8, 2019
I've never had a problem editing Totem's pics either. And I've done thousands. I can only imagine that it's a problem with an anti-virus or other protection software. Try disabling your firewall and anti-virus software and/or whitelist everything from Totem.
SetFuego
Joined in Mar 2008

737 post(s)
December 8, 2019
@NotyaBusiness
Maybe using a cloud synchronisation tool (because OneDrive) that prohibits write rights on that files? Very odd...
haruchai
Joined in Feb 2008

167 post(s)
December 8, 2019 (edited)
As a test I just downloaded only this picture direct to my OneDrive by clicking on the save icon. I do not get the security warning that NotyaBusiness gets in properties. I then opened the picture on my phone via OneDrive (another computer, not the original source) cropped it and saved it back to OneDrive. The cropped version then appears on my phone and PC in OneDrive.

So we can rule out OneDrive as far as I can see from my experience. There is some security setting on the PC that is having an issue with that image but I can't duplicate it so I'm at a loss as to why it's happening, sorry.
SetFuego
Joined in Mar 2008

737 post(s)
December 8, 2019
I don't mean OneDrive itself but a synchronisation tool as cause (sync software uses cloud drives, thats the reason why I'm pointing on OneDrive). Could also be GoogleDrive, DropBox or whatever, I mean the the SyncSoft if any used.
haruchai
Joined in Feb 2008

167 post(s)
December 8, 2019 (edited)
I don't mean OneDrive itself but a synchronisation tool as cause (sync software uses cloud drives, thats the reason why I'm pointing on OneDrive). Could also be GoogleDrive, DropBox or whatever, I mean the the SyncSoft if any used.
Got it. I just mentioned OneDrive specifically as NotyaBusiness posted screenshots via OneDrive. Just trying to rule out things.
SetFuego
Joined in Mar 2008

737 post(s)
December 8, 2019
Ah, ok then.😉
Gorfa91
Joined in Aug 2010

279 post(s)
December 8, 2019
@NotyaBusiness yes it is strange I can also reproduce your issue. Everytime I tick the Unblock box and click Apply or OK Windows will reset it again. Also the Photos app is not able to overpass this lock. As said by @TheEmu using Paint.net that I also used since many years now will overwrite the file without any issue. Otherwise you can download the ZIP of the gallery and extract the file you need if bandwidth is not an issue for you.
NotyaBusiness
Joined in Dec 2019

24 post(s)
December 9, 2019
Hey guys!

First of all thank you very much for all the advice and suggestions. I have tried it all and anything else I could come up with.

Here is what solved the issue: Update LOL

I have auto updates set up so Windows normally does it on it's own, but I guess sometimes it has some delays. I went to check. There was an optional update waiting. (Not clear why it was optional) so I had that running and then in the Windows store an update for Windows Media Engine Add-on popped up. That didn't start on it's own either so I installed it.

Behold, everything is working as they should. The weird thing is, I did look for updates as soon as the problem occured but they were not listed at the time. I don't have answer to that but I care not. The problem I had is solved so I'm all happy.

Once again thanks all for the posts and help!

Ta!

You are not allowed to participate yet

As a free user of iStripper, you are not allowed to answer a topic in the forum or to create a new topic.
But you can still access basics categories and get in touch with our community !