Install/run everything on external drive?

Forum / Everything about iStripper

Cartref
Joined in Sep 2007

520 post(s)
December 5, 2020 (edited)
Back when I was much more active as a Mod, I created a Sticky topic for people giving "advice" on doing registry modifications.

In essence said that it was the responsibility of the person giving the advice to:
1. Make sure the member who was being advised was aware of potential risks if they didn't know what they were doing
2. It was the advising member's responsibility to support the member making the changes and help them correct the situation if something went wrong.
3. I was even know to bring out my club for a few whacks for "advising" members who did not follow these rules.

Back then, we had a few cowboys (and they were always guys back then) who threw out suggested changes, but didn't warn of potential risks and didn't support the member when they got it wrong and left it to Totem Support to resolve the mess, which is why the Team do not advocate making these changes because they don't know how experienced the member is.

Now with WyldAnimal, he has always, then as now, provided warnings and fully supported the member when & after they attempted the registry update.

That is why in all these years even before he became a Mod, I NEVER have had a problem with his posts on registry changes and NEVER even considered challenging him on one
Wyldanimal
Joined in Mar 2008

3762 post(s)
December 5, 2020
For Many Years, The official Virtuagirl Help and then the iStripper Help
Contained Instructions on Making Registry Edits

These were Official Support FAQ from the Team..

These inclusion is the Help FAQ have since been removed, as most of it, is now part of the Settings.
But there are a few members who want to relocate more then just the Models Repository.

And the Only way to do that, is to make a registry edit.

Cartref
Joined in Sep 2007

520 post(s)
December 5, 2020
Like WyldAnimal,

I make registry edits when and if necessary.

The two most common edits (as I understand it) are for the location of the models (and there is system functionality to do this now) and the Data folder for which there are no system functionality.

I know the risks and what would be required if things went wrong, that is why I made the modifications to achieve what I needed.

Cheers & Beers
TheEmu
Joined in Jul 2012

3309 post(s)
December 5, 2020 (edited)
In case my position is still being misunderstood. I have absolutely no problem with @Wyldanimal 's posts describing how to modify the behaviour of iStripper by changing registry entries. They are very clear, informative and helpful.

What I disagree with him on are rather *****, almost philosophical, terminological points such as whether or not such edits can unequivocally be called "safe". I take the view that any use of undocumented (at a user level of documentation) features is inherently unsafe with respect to future updates no matter how safe they are in practice with the current version.

I also have a ***** concern that widespread use of such implementation details can constrain future development. I do not think that would be much of a problem in this particular case, but I have seen exactly that happen elsewhere.

For example an important user of a package used knowledge of its internal data structures (obtained by looking at low level #incude files) to bypass the intended API, then because of the importance of the user (or rather the importance of the that user's product to the end users) this resulted in having to freeze the package's internal data structures and introduced significant barriers to improving the package.
18nraf2
Joined in Nov 2019

2 post(s)
December 5, 2020
Thank you for the really helpful images and step by step Wyldanimal! I was able to do it.

It seems like each time you use it, it creates a new "Totem" folder, but you can just delete that when you are done. Also Istripper still appears in add or remove programs, but apart from that it seems like it is completely on the drive, rather than on my hard drive.

Not my first time editing the registry, aware of the risks, felt it was worth it
mkst
Joined in Dec 2009

75 post(s)
December 6, 2020
@18nraf2
Also Istripper still appears in add or remove programs, but apart from that it seems like it is completely on the drive, rather than on my hard drive.
Another regedit will do it 😊
Rename DisplayName to NoDisplayName at:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\iStripper_is1

Needs to be redone with update installs.

You are not allowed to participate yet

As a free user of iStripper, you are not allowed to answer a topic in the forum or to create a new topic.
But you can still access basics categories and get in touch with our community !