Is there anyway to make one of the card storage locations read only?

Forum / Everything about iStripper

kindsoul88
Joined in Dec 2013

107 post(s)
May 30, 2019
Is there anyway to make one of the card storage locations read only? What I mean is I have my main storage as my external drive and my internal drive as my secondary with favorites only stored on it on rare occasions it downloads to the internal when I forget to plug in my external drive and then once the download starts the only way to fix that is to stop iStripper rename the internal folder and delete the folder for the download and then plug in the external drive. What I am trying to do is make the download fail on the internal while the external is not plugged in and it only downloads to the external drive.
TheEmu
Joined in Jul 2012

3309 post(s)
May 30, 2019
Instead of deleting the clips from the internal drive and redownloading them to the external drive you can simply move them from one to the other. I use a file/directory compare tool (Beyond Compare) to do this but simply using the file windows manager to ***** the directories also works.
kindsoul88
Joined in Dec 2013

107 post(s)
May 30, 2019 (edited)
ah na not that I have seperate drives the external holds the main downloads I copy a few cards to the internal that i play alot I just don't want any others to download to the internal basically i just keep a few on my internal drive
TheEmu
Joined in Jul 2012

3309 post(s)
May 30, 2019 (edited)
Like you I keep a few favourites on my laptop's internal drive but unlike you I always download new shows to it so that I always have the favourites and the newer shows available when away from home base. Every week or so I move a few new cards to the external drive (and to a backup drive as well). I find this more convenient than downloading to the external drive.
kindsoul88
Joined in Dec 2013

107 post(s)
May 30, 2019 (edited)
ah that makes sense mine originally started because of my lack of space on my laptop after my collection grew so ive just kept it this way since then but if this method works for you then great on my current machine it downloads shows usually within a minute or 2 even on the external so this works for me at least for convinence sake.

Edit: I should also add the reason i like to keep it all on the external and use it instead of favorites is because I have random days where i start from 1 show and let it randomly choose or I use certain shows to make artistic things like videos etc.
Wyldanimal
Joined in Mar 2008

3757 post(s)
May 30, 2019
1st
Add a New User Account, and Give it Administrative privileges.
This will be the Account you Use to Mange What Cards are added to your Local Hard Drive.

I called mine ISManger

Now you can open the VGHD folder, and in there are normall 3 sub folders
BIN, DATA, and MODELS

right click on Models folder
Select Properties. - Click on the Security Tab.
Click on Edit
Click on Add
Add the New User Account, mine was ISManager

Click on Advanced .
Disable Inherited Properties, convert then to User properties.
Give ISManager Full Access
Remove Full Access from all other accounts, ( also make sure you remove Write access )
So now, Only the ISManager account has Full Access, and no other account has Write access

That's all you have to do.

Oh, while you are in the VGHD folder, Right Click the Models Folder and Create a ShortCut for it.
Copy that New ShortCut the the Public Folders, so your isManager has access to it.

When you Want to Add a models Folder to your Local HD.
Download the card to the External HD, using your Regular Windows Account,
Sign in to Windows with the ISManager account
use the Shortcut you made and copied to the Public Folders, to Access the Models folder.
Copy the Card's Folder to the Local HD.
Sign out of the ISManager account and Sign back in with your Regular User Account.

kindsoul88
Joined in Dec 2013

107 post(s)
May 30, 2019
Ah thanks for the detailed explanation was hoping to avoid using windows permissions I am very familar with those was hoping there was a registry edit for iStripper or something anyways we can consider this topic finished thanks for all the replies :D I figured i would have to do something like this though. This is the best answer though if we had that option to choose like in other forums lol thanks for the help :)
TheEmu
Joined in Jul 2012

3309 post(s)
May 30, 2019
But if you want it to select randomly from the whole collection, as I do, then it makes no difference whether the collection is split over two or more disks or not. I have used a selection playlists, My Favourite Blondes, My Favourite Redheads, My Favourite Lingerie etc., to restrict the program to playing various categories of favourites. This takes a little more effort than what you do but is more flexible, however I wish that iStripper had more convenient built in tools for playlist maintenance.
Wyldanimal
Joined in Mar 2008

3757 post(s)
May 30, 2019
Here are 6 Video's that show you the process.
note
Video 01, I missed un-checking one of the Access settings ( Write )
So Video 02 shows what can happen if you don't uncheck the Write Access
Video 03 I realize what I missed and correct it.

Video 04 I show how to Set the Folder View Options to Allow Hidden folders to be displayed.
Video 05 is how to create the Shortcut
Video 06 is how to use the Shortcut.

https://virtuastripper.net/video/LocalReadOnly/
kindsoul88
Joined in Dec 2013

107 post(s)
August 6, 2019
So mission accomplished what I ended up doing is making a DVD with a set on it then mapping the second folder to the drive with the DVD I can make multiple DVDS with different sets and not have to change the name of the folder and when I try to download another show it fails since a DVD is read only this way I can also make suodo playlists by having certain cards on a disk :D
wait05
Joined in Jun 2019

17 post(s)
August 29, 2021
1st
Add a New User Account, and Give it Administrative privileges.
This will be the Account you Use to Mange What Cards are added to your Local Hard Drive.

I called mine ISManger

Now you can open the VGHD folder, and in there are normall 3 sub folders
BIN, DATA, and MODELS

right click on Models folder
Select Properties. - Click on the Security Tab.
Click on Edit
Click on Add
Add the New User Account, mine was ISManager

Click on Advanced .
Disable Inherited Properties, convert then to User properties.
Give ISManager Full Access
Remove Full Access from all other accounts, ( also make sure you remove Write access )
So now, Only the ISManager account has Full Access, and no other account has Write access

That's all you have to do.

Oh, while you are in the VGHD folder, Right Click the Models Folder and Create a ShortCut for it.
Copy that New ShortCut the the Public Folders, so your isManager has access to it.

When you Want to Add a models Folder to your Local HD.
Download the card to the External HD, using your Regular Windows Account,
Sign in to Windows with the ISManager account
use the Shortcut you made and copied to the Public Folders, to Access the Models folder.
Copy the Card's Folder to the Local HD.
Sign out of the ISManager account and Sign back in with your Regular User Account.
thanks
Evaneself
Joined in Dec 2019

308 post(s)
August 30, 2021
Why to make card storage locations read only?

You are not allowed to participate yet

As a free user of iStripper, you are not allowed to answer a topic in the forum or to create a new topic.
But you can still access basics categories and get in touch with our community !