iStipper Folder won't move

Forum / New users corner

TheeBSK
Joined in Jul 2018

8 post(s)
August 6, 2018
I moved my iStripper folder via the settings feature, but there is still a folder named "IStripper" appearing where I don't wish to have it (I have a Mac and it shows up in finder next to movies folder, picture folder, download folder, etc.

How do I get that gone without affecting my iStripper?

Thanks for the help!
stefnev1
Joined in Jul 2008

4454 post(s)
August 6, 2018
If this folder is empty, you can simply delete it.
Norbaja
Joined in Dec 2007

5 post(s)
November 7, 2022
Hi stefnev1!

I have the same issue. I wanted to delete the istripper folder from my users root folder but the application rewrite a new istripper folder again at the next openning. What could be the solution the hide the istripper folder in the users folder?

Thx
TheEmu
Joined in Jul 2012

3309 post(s)
November 7, 2022 (edited)
@Norbaja

There is no way that is supported by the application to change the location in which iStripper is installed (it only provides a way to change the location of the Models folder).

You can, however, edit the windows registry to change the installation location (@Wyldanimal has posted how to do this) but this has a small risk attached to it - it might not be compatible with future versions of the app.

You can also do what I do which is to have multiple user accounts on your machine. Though I am the only user on my laptop I use four accounts

a privileged account - for those few things that need it
    a normal user account - for normal work
    a shared user account - for shared files
    a "private" user account - for things like iStripper

Anyone logged into any of the first three accounts can not see or use iStripper.

Actually I have, and use, more accounts than that as I keep my personal work separate from my work for other people and if I were to allow other users access to the machine they would have a separate account (or accounts) so that they can only see what I choose to let them see.
Wyldanimal
Joined in Mar 2008

3757 post(s)
November 7, 2022 (edited)
On a windows Machine this can be done by making an edit to the registry.
But it must be re-done each time a new version is installed.

Copy the Bin folder to the New location, then Edit the registry.

On MAC, the equivalent of the Registry is a Preference file.
So the path to the BIN folder must be edited.

And then a shut down and restart of the MAC so the changes take affect.

I don't own or have access to a MAC so I can't provide step by step instructions.
If you are a power MAC user and understand what I explained, then you can probably do it.

EDIT:

On the MAC, even if you Move the BIN folder and edit the preferance file.
I think the MAC will still show the iStripper App in Finder.

iStripper has a SAFE FOR WORK settings section, where you can select from two different Names and Icons.
Make sure you check advance settings, then scroll down to Safe For Work.
You can Also apply the Safe for work Password
So that you MUST type in a password to open the iStripper app.
the password is ALWAYS
striptease
all lowercase.

Dorsai6
Joined in Apr 2013

1025 post(s)
November 7, 2022
@TheeBSK

Sorry, I missed your original message. I run iStripper on two Mac's and I have extensive experience in configuring iStripper the way I want it.

There are three items whose location you can control:

iStripper.app
models folder
data folder

You can put the iStripper.app wherever you wish, but good practice is to keep it in the Applications folder. However, if you have multiple user accounts on your Mac, you can put it is a user Application folder instead of the System Application folder. Recent changes to Mac security protocalls may limit where you can put an application or may require you to use system preferences to authorize a move. I don't know, because I keep all my applications in an Applications folder.

The appication provides a capability to change the location of the models folder.

You can relocate the data folder only by editing the com.totem.Vghd.plist preference file. I can help you do this if you wish to move it.

My best guess: Your data folder is still present in the iStripper folder. As long as that is the case, you can't delete the iStripper folder.

Tell me more and what your desired end state is and I can help you.

@Wyldanimal

There is no BIN folder on a Mac. The iStripper.app is the equivalent. It can be moved simply by *****.

Dorsai6
Joined in Apr 2013

1025 post(s)
November 7, 2022
@Norbaja

Whoops! I just noticed that the original message was in 2018. If you're using a Mac, see my previous reply. If you're on a Windows maching, Wyldanimal is the expert.
muttonjeff
Joined in Nov 2008

650 post(s)
November 11, 2022
How to edit the registry ..... this guide is for Windows ONLY.

BE CAUTIOUS, editing the registry can be disasterous. If you are unsure how to edit the registry .. DON'T.
To open 'regedit', right click the 'Start' menu icon, select 'Run', type in 'regedit' and click OK.

BEFORE moving the installation folder and editing the registry, I strongly suggest you SAVE the current registry data/settings ...
Use regedit to open ... Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Totem\vghd\System
Click the arrow next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER to expand it
Now expand SOFTWARE
Scroll down to Totem and expand it
Expand vghd
now just select/highlight System
Right click 'System' and "Export" to the desktop using any filename you like.
I suggest you use a name like "Totemdefaults" to indicate it's the original default settings.

Double click each of the path keys and change the value/text to match your chosen relocation, then "Export" 'System' again using a different filename
I suggest using a name like "Mytotempaths".
The path keys should be obvious ... 'DataPath' , 'MainPath' , 'ModelsPath' and 'ModelsMultiPath'

To restore the registry entries, double click your chosen .reg file (as saved above) and those keys and data values will be rewritten to the registry.
If you expect iStripper to still work, ensure you have relocated the VGHD folder(s) to match where the registry path keys point to (example ... C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\vghd ... or wherever you choose to put it)

You can move the two .reg files (as saved) to another safer/preferred location if you need/want to

However the uninstall path has not been updated and I think Uninstall will not work after you manually relocate the install folder. (never tried)
To properly uninstall, you should ensure the files and registry are at the original location

I repeat ...
BE CAUTIOUS, editing the registry can be disasterous. If you are unsure how to edit the registry .. DON'T.

Finally, if you edit the registry and eff it up .... DON'T BLAME ME
You can always reinstall iStripper.

You are not allowed to participate yet

As a free user of iStripper, you are not allowed to answer a topic in the forum or to create a new topic.
But you can still access basics categories and get in touch with our community !