Virtuagirl Storage

Forum / New users corner

ywDOG241
Joined in Jun 2012

2 post(s)
July 10, 2012
I am grateful that I am able to store the private shows on a portable drive. It's
great that you can download the private shows on your computer but I found that my hardrive filled up. Being able to store the private shows on a portable drive
solved all my problems,now I don't delete any more shows to make room.
Toolmaniac
Joined in May 2012

8 post(s)
November 24, 2012
How did you do it? I'm running into the same problem. Thanks. Toolmaniac
Wyldanimal
Joined in Mar 2008

3753 post(s)
November 24, 2012
Download and Install the New Version 1.1.0.34
With your External Drive already connected..
On the advance screen
select Change Storage folder.
Then Browse to the External Drive and Create a new folder as needed.
once you have your New folder setup Click OK

Now Quit VG
When you Restart VG it will MOVE your Entire Card Collection from the Old Location to the New Location.
You Must give it enough time to do this..
USB2.0 is about 50 cards per hour.
USB3.0 is about 200 cards per hour.

So the Amount of time depends on How many Full Cards you have.
My times above are estimates...

MrBeeKeeper
Joined in Jul 2012

293 post(s)
November 24, 2012 (edited)
I'd like to ask some questions too.

How the program will work with an External Hard Drive later, when Data is on the Main Drive and models are not?

The second one is about Windows XP: IF I will make my models and data backup to External HD with Windows XP and then I'll upgrade my computer to WIN. 7, can Windows 7 OPEN these storeged files, made by Win. XP?
Or there is needed some third party software for this?

Thanks!
notdeadyet
Joined in Feb 2012

143 post(s)
November 24, 2012
Windows 7 can cope yes

You will need the external drive plugged in (and turned on) to play back from it.
AND when downloading new shows.

MrBeeKeeper
Joined in Jul 2012

293 post(s)
November 25, 2012 (edited)
@notdeadyet,

Thanks! About Win. Xp I asked, because have this problem already with my personal photo collection, which was created and storaged on External HD by XP and now Windows 7 can't open this backup. Says that "can't open this type" of files.
notdeadyet
Joined in Feb 2012

143 post(s)
November 25, 2012
You can get a "windows Xp emulator" from microsoft
that might help

Actually I ***** windows 7 it appears to have been written by a 13 year old.

you touch it and it LEAPS about the place, the fonts won't stay the same size and the whole system trys to be "intuitive" some of us older folks want computers to do as they are damn well told.

I only know about this problem because I had to move my collection when I swapped systems (lack of space).
Its amazing how much space 200 cards takes up (transfer time was 98 minutes by the way)
Wyldanimal
Joined in Mar 2008

3753 post(s)
November 25, 2012
There is a Differences between Making a BACKUP and just Coping your files.
Both XP and Win 7 have Built in Backup software.
If you want to access the files just like they are on you computer, then Just COPY them to the External HDD don't run a BACKUP.

MrBeeKeeper
Joined in Jul 2012

293 post(s)
Thanks, guys!

That was quite useful information for not very experienced computer guy like me!

Anyway, it became quite clear now that for my personal picture collection I need some special program or tool to open it...
It's all backed up!
BigSteve
Joined in Dec 2007

132 post(s)
Virtuagirl inspired (and one could say required) me to buy a 2 Terabyte external hard drive (about $100) -- well worth the investment, but hard to explain if someone discovers that I thought I needed it, so I keep it hidden from my tech-savvy kids. My 1,119 card collection only takes up 430 Gigs, so I have plenty of room to grow.
Toolmaniac
Joined in May 2012

8 post(s)
November 25, 2012
Thanks for the info. I did figure it out on my own. I tried this last night and it didn't work that's why I asked. It finally worked today. The problem I did have is while the transfer has about an hour left My block lost poser. When the power came back I got a message that I may need to transfer the remaining on my own. So I need to figure out what didn't transfer and was one card partially transferred? I love when the power does out during data transfers, YEAH! LOL
BigSteve
Joined in Dec 2007

132 post(s)
November 25, 2012
It took me almost a week at about 2 Megabytes per second to get my entire collection on the external hard drive. (But as soon as the first few cards were loaded, I had some shows to keep me amused.) After the process appears complete, go back to "My Collection" and look for any cards that didn't download as expected. Click them one at a time, and click "Download now." They'll come along eventually.
Wyldanimal
Joined in Mar 2008

3753 post(s)
November 26, 2012
@ToolManiac

If you used Totem's Cahnge Storage Folder, and the Power went out in the middle.
All the Cards that Didn't transfer will be Left in the OLD location.

Totem MOVES the Folder's, so any Card that was Fully transferred is NO LONGER in the Old location.

So it's just a matter of Two Explorer windows Side by Side,
***** all the Folders from The Old location and Drop them to the New Location.
Cartref
Joined in Sep 2007

520 post(s)
January 7, 2013
Just to clarrify, WA is talking about the new functionality within VG since version 1.1.0.22.

This functionality only moved the VG Model cards to the new location, it does not move the data files. The data files take up only a relatively small amout of disk space. For example my collection of nearly 1,200 cards, the data folder is only 1.02 Gb in sizw where as the models folder is 819 Gb.

The data files need to remain where they are unless you know how to edit the registry with regedit. If you do not know how, then do not do it.

If you are not sure of this topic, please ask specific question of what you want to achieve.

69er7
Joined in Dec 2012

2 post(s)
June 11, 2013
I had no room left on my hard drive and when I had to reregister software it failed to do, so uninstalled Virtuagirl, then reinstalled it straight to the 2TB hard drive (easy if u know how) I downloaded it again, changed the collection over to the 2TB hard drive and have had no more hassles, downloads are faster and my almost 600 models are all working well infect better than when on my C| Drive. After I put all the Virtualgirl cards on my 2TB and all my Photo's (over 1500) I find I still have only used 10GB of room, still plenty of room to get more girls and Photo's on there I'm in the Philippines living and when I went back home (Darwin, Australia) bought the Seagate 2TB $109:00 (recommend brand) as can not get 2TB drive here anywhere. I find also that if u run defrag every day or two after downloading u virtuagirl will always run smoother.
69er7
Joined in Dec 2012

2 post(s)
June 29, 2013
the only thing i find frustating with this program is that the uninstall does not work the way it should, for some reason it does not uninstall from totams main fram computer hence leaveing it on there as a install, if the problum is not there then it is with what ever is wrong with our own computers as i have had to reformatt my hard drive a few times now, and every time i got to many installs, now that i got my computer up and running proper again i virus check everything that i download with two virus programs that i have installed, mite take longer to download but is safer and less hassles my end, I wish to thank totam for the quick responces they have given and in fixing my problums in the time they stated, I'm liveing in the Phillippines and have found internet here to be pre 90's 56kbs,(lucky to download 4 cards aday) so i bought a telstra wifi unit hen back home unlocked it and put a smart bro sim card (phillippine sim card)into it and getting much faaster downloads, now downloading upto 30 cards a day. Once again totam thank u for ur help in fixing my problums so quickly.
Ossian20013
Joined in Jul 2011

3 post(s)
September 13, 2013
I'm aware of a large folder on my PC full of bonus photos. Please forgive my ignorance but how do I locate the storage folder presumably containing all the video clips of purchased models (or are these streamed on request)? How does one access them? If possible, I would like to delete unwanted choices from my Hard Drive to make space.Anyone know how?
What would happen if Virtuagirl went bust, or if I wanted to eventually leave?
DMon1981
Joined in Jan 2010

386 post(s)
September 13, 2013
@Ossian20013 The folder containing the shows is generally hidden so depending on your OS you have to alter your folder options and make all files visible.

But you do not need to access to this to delete unwanted files as this can be done from the GUI.

Now if Totem were to go bust they have said they would make the player usable without having to make regular contact with the servers.

What do you mean by if you want to leave?

Shows are yours for life just make sure you turn on your internet regularly for Totem servers to verify your account and allow you to continue playing your shows.

Hope this helps
Ossian20013
Joined in Jul 2011

3 post(s)
September 15, 2013
@DMon1981 Thank you for your help. What is the GUI?
Oquijan
Joined in May 2009

1549 post(s)
September 15, 2013 (edited)
Graphical User Interface. In other words the VG software in your PC where you control all the stuff. ;)
MattBFreq3
Joined in Oct 2008

618 post(s)
November 22, 2013
Ive just been looking into changing the storage folder for my collection as I am running out of space on my current hard drive.

I understand from one point of view about moving your entire collection from one place to another to keep it all together, but I was a little surprised about this method as Wyldanimal says it takes quite a bit of time to move depending on your USB version (Could be a problem with members with very large collections and only USB 2.0 or even 1.0)

I wonder if Totem did think about having multiple locations to keep the model files as well? Just like Windows Media Player does, it is able to play music from different sources on your computer, why did not Totem go for this approach with the VGHD player? This way you wouldn't have needed to move your collection (which takes time) and you'd have just been able to select a new source to keep any new cards you download.

Just a thought :-)
Wyldanimal
Joined in Mar 2008

3753 post(s)
November 22, 2013
"I wonder if Totem did think about having multiple locations to keep the model files as well?"

Totem is looking into a solution for SPLIT collections.
But until Totem can provide a way to do it.
Junctions are the Solution - I wrote about this Here:
Forum > Ideas > Multiple Hdd - Span Hdd - Multiple Harddisk
http://www.virtuagirl.com/forumPost.php?foId=8&ftId=24631
You are not allowed to see this topic or access data relative to this topic
MattBFreq3
Joined in Oct 2008

618 post(s)
November 23, 2013
Thanks for the info Wyldanimal, it was interesting reading through it all. Hopefully split collections will be implemented soon on the player software :-)
sasquatch38
Joined in Dec 2013

2 post(s)
January 12, 2014
I have a question hopefully someone can answer.I had my collection on one hard drive,and copied them to another,but now my vg program doesn't recognize them.I have changed my storage folder,so my new downloads go to that drive,but it asks me to download the old ones.
Any help?
MattBFreq3
Joined in Oct 2008

618 post(s)
February 27, 2014
I purchased a new 2TB External Hard Drive the other day now I have now filled up my older 150GB hard drive. As I write this I am in the process, using the "Change the Storage Folder" method, of transfering my collection to the new drive.

My old 150GB hard drive is USB 2.0 but my new drive is USB 3.0 and its taken about 30 mins to transfer 1/3 of my collection. Hopefully it'll all work out well and ill post up the final results when its finished.
MattBFreq3
Joined in Oct 2008

618 post(s)
February 27, 2014
The transfer over to my new hard drive has been a success, with no problems. 440 cards were transferred equating to about 142GB

I started the process about 11:00am GMT and it finished the process at about 13:30pm GMT, so it took approx. 2 hours and 30 mins. That's almost a transfer rate of 3 cards per minute, and if you want to split hairs, 20 seconds per card :-)
Plopsaland
Joined in Sep 2008

124 post(s)
July 9, 2019
Quite an old topic.. But it suits my current question. Currently 3 TB of card data on my drive.
Thinking about getting a NAS with 2 - 8 TB drives . 1 for backup and then 8 TB for girls collection..

Anyone having something else or another idea what to use?

You are not allowed to participate yet

As a free user of iStripper, you are not allowed to answer a topic in the forum or to create a new topic.
But you can still access basics categories and get in touch with our community !