NotyaBusiness
Joined in Dec 2019

24 post(s)
December 15, 2019
Hi guys,

I can see there are a whole lot of questions about this but I could not find useful reply, just some jokes and stuff.

This issue has been up ever since 2008 as I can tell and it seems that in the 11 years it's not been solved. So I am just curious.

What is the reason of playing the girls flipped or in mirror image in full screen mode?

Thank you!
Number6
Joined in Oct 2010

1103 post(s)
December 15, 2019
@NotyaBusiness

If you ever find out the reason please let us know.

There is a fairly simple fix for it by modifying the .scn file. I did a post on it somewher a while back. I'll try and find it.
TheEmu
Joined in Jul 2012

3309 post(s)
December 16, 2019 (edited)
I think it was just a ***** mistake that was made when the full screen mode was first created and is now so well established that it would be far more trouble to fix than it is to just leave it as it is. If it was fixed then all of the scenes that correct for it would need to be updated - in my case that is thousands of them.

I can think of two possible reasons why the problem exists.

1) The way the screen coordinates are defined has the Y coordinate increasing from the top of the screen to the bottom but in each clip they run in the opposite direction. You can see this if you use a simple shader that does nothing to a clip - the result is that the clip is displayed upside down. It is possible that a mistake was made when correcting for this - e.g. the transform V => 1.0-V was applied to a position vector rather than just to its Y component.

2) It is noticeable that in the scenes that Totem initially supplied the camera was placed at a positive Z coordinate looking in the -Z direction and that this has become the de-facto standard. If you do the opposite then by default you will be looking at the other side of any clips in the scene and any writing or any other left-right asymmetry will be the right way round without the need for any correction - i.e. we may be looking at the back of the clips. However, if you do change the view direction in this way then any other scene elements such as the background, will then be flipped instead.
Manue
TEAM
CUSTOMER SERVICE
Joined in Nov 2014

1030 post(s)
December 16, 2019
Hi, Really sorry for any inconvenience caused. For further information please check this link :
https://www.istripper.com/forum/thread/39075/1#post575384
You are not allowed to see this topic or access data relative to this topic
Number6
Joined in Oct 2010

1103 post(s)
December 16, 2019
Thanks @Manue

That was the thread I was looking for last night.

@NotyaBusiness

Apologies - the Advent Calendar got in the way of my searching,
NotyaBusiness
Joined in Dec 2019

24 post(s)
December 17, 2019
Hi, Really sorry for any inconvenience caused. For further information please check this link :
https://www.istripper.com/forum/thread/39075/1?soft_navigate=ExternDefaultBrowser#post575384
You are not allowed to see this topic or access data relative to this topic

Thank you very much, @Manue

That was the thread I was looking for last night.

Apologies - the Advent Calendar got in the way of my searching,

lol no one could blame you for that, @Number6

Thanks for the explanation, @TheEmu
TheEmu
Joined in Jul 2012

3309 post(s)
December 17, 2019
I may have made a ***** mistake last night when I said

You can see this if you use a simple shader that does nothing to a clip - the result is that the clip is displayed upside down.

I think I may have been misremembering what it was that revealed the need for the Y direction was flipped at some point in the rendering process, it may have been just the simple shader or it may have involved the use of a frame buffer (I rather think now that it was the latter, but I have no time to check before leaving for work). This makes no difference to what I was trying to say in the paragraph, namely that for one reason or another the the Y coordinate direction had to be flipped at some stage and this might, or might not, have been done in a way that simultaneously accidentally also flipped the X coordinate.
NotyaBusiness
Joined in Dec 2019

24 post(s)
December 18, 2019
Yes the change in the code provided is easy enough, but doing it for every scenes is a bit frustrating and it's just not worth my time. The real question is that how come the devs have not found a solution for it for over a decade. Curious.
TheEmu
Joined in Jul 2012

3309 post(s)
December 18, 2019 (edited)
@NotyaBusiness

It would be trivial for Totem to fix the left-right ***** - but that would mean that thousands of user created scenes that have already allowed for this peculiarity would then have to be modified. Fixing the original problem would create a bigger problem than just leaving it as it is. There are times when it is preferable to stick with an established sub-optimal behaviour rather than change it to be more "correct" - backward compatibility can sometimes be more important than fixing a ***** bug.
NotyaBusiness
Joined in Dec 2019

24 post(s)
December 18, 2019
@NotyaBusiness

It would be trivial for Totem to fix the left-right ***** - but that would mean that thousands of user created scenes that have already allowed for this peculiarity would then have to be modified. Fixing the original problem would create a bigger problem than just leaving it as it is. There are times when it is preferable to stick with an established sub-optimal behaviour rather than change it to be more "correct".

Yes It would take an update and probably a re-install and re-downloads. I see your point I mean some of you have like hundreds of girls and shows downloaded and yeah I get it, downloading everything all over again could take ages. I only have 15 shows only lol
EverthangForever
Joined in Oct 2009

2432 post(s)
December 18, 2019
Yes, the two greatest bugbears for peeps learning to code .scn files have been:
1. left-right mirroring of clipsprites
2. Y axis inversion of textures (image files) when they are used with frag shaders

I've long thought that Totem would eventually upgrade their fullscreen platform
to give us more channels for sound and movie files, a la shadertoy.com 's webGL
however with the cashflow imperatives directing all effort to money spinning
ventures ONLY, it is hard to see that changing soon.

I am just glad that the screensaver (as an 'off the shelf' ) platform was incorporated
in the original design of Virtuagirl in the first place. Kudos to Lezardo, StarryK
Wyldanimal, TheEmu and others for making it at least understandable & workable.
TheEmu
Joined in Jul 2012

3309 post(s)
December 18, 2019
@NotyaBusiness

There are scenes where it is important that no flipping is performed - e.g. where inout clips are used to have the girls enter or exit through a doorway situated towards one side of the screen. If, as you suggest, Totem were to ***** the clips then these scenes would not work. These could usually be reworked easily enough, but in some cases the nested dependancies can be quite complex as can the relationships between the clip orientations and animate: clauses moving them, the camera, or other objects about in the scene. There is no simple answer that would fit all cases.
Z22
Joined in Aug 2017

1166 post(s)
December 18, 2019
Simple solution for legacy support of the older scenes ... ish. Add a new flag to the .scn to use the corrected version, if the flag isn't present it works as it does now. So the legacy scenes would still work as intended without modification.

I'm not holding my breath for any improvements to the fullscreen, they still have bugs in the main software we reported years ago and they are far more important. I think we have more chance of someone making a seperate player with it's own fullscreen scene support.
TheEmu
Joined in Jul 2012

3309 post(s)
December 18, 2019
@z22 - I would do it slightly differently. rather than "add a new flag to the .scn" I think I would do it a a slightly lower level, namely as an attribute of a Clip so that you can control each individually - this in its simplest form would be something like

clip {
id: Girl
*****: true
}

although I think I would prefer to have it a little more general

clip {
id: Girl
scale: -1, 1
}

NotyaBusiness
Joined in Dec 2019

24 post(s)
December 18, 2019
Hah! What am I ***** about? Totem seemed to have created quite a few professional coder for iStripper lol
Z22
Joined in Aug 2017

1166 post(s)
December 19, 2019 (edited)
"*****: true" is kinda what i meant for newly created scenes and it not being present in older scenes would make them behave as they do now. Isn't "scale: -1, 1" what we already do though, just in a framebuffer rather than the clip define.

Last time i asked about the problem i was told it was because of "illogical lighting" which i thought was funny. Where the lights are coming from is far less noticable than writing being backwards.
TheEmu
Joined in Jul 2012

3309 post(s)
December 19, 2019 (edited)
Yes. scale : -1, 1 is what we do now, but it would be in a more convenient position especially if you are using the same clip several times in a scene (which I have often done). Its advantage over *****: true is that it is a more general mechanism that can potentially be used for other purposes. I always prefer general solutions to specific fixes unless they are significantly more complex to use.

You are not allowed to participate yet

As a free user of iStripper, you are not allowed to answer a topic in the forum or to create a new topic.
But you can still access basics categories and get in touch with our community !