Resolution Stuff

Forum / New users corner

Pseudo_Nym
Joined in Aug 2019

11 post(s)
August 19, 2019
I looked alot before I started this thread.

Am running a 1600 x 900 @720 lap top.

Is there any advantage on image quality if I D/L in 1080 or 3K?

I realize the D/L's will be long and each file will take up more storage space

If I D/L in 1080 0r 3K am I going to be getting a denser image that actually appears smaller on my 720 monitor.

Reason I am asking is that I am headed toward a 32" 4k monitor sometime in the next 6-9 months, sans surprise. My thinking here is that is I D/L the big files now, I won't have to update as much when I mifrate everything.

Thanks much
Dorsai6
Joined in Apr 2013

1025 post(s)
August 19, 2019
@Pseudo_Nym

If I understand your message correctly, you are currently downloading cards at 720p resolution and playing them on a display that is 900 pixels high. If that is correct, you will see a better quality show if you download a 1080p resolution. Using a 1080p card will not only require more disk space, but it will require more computing since your computer will be handling more input pixels. A lot depends on the scale you use when playing on the desktop and whether you play full-screen shows. My best recommendation is to download one card you already own at 1080p and see if it looks better to you.

With regard to the 3K cards, they won't do you any good on your current laptop. Your screen is too small and they will require more computing power for no advantage. Your collection is small. Wait till you have the larger monitor and then upgrade. With a 4k monitor you will see a difference with the 3K cards.

I have 3 displays connected to my 2013 Mac Pro.
Phillips 43" 4K
HP 30" 2560 X 1600
HP 23" 1920 X 1080

I normally play iStripper on the 4K display, but I've experimented with it on all three displays and with cards of all four available resolutions. I normally play iStripper in the small mode at a scale of 40% on the 4K. I do this because I'm usually doing other work at the same time. At this scale I see no significant difference between 1080 and 3K cards. 720p cards at this scale are noticeably worse. When I want to see 720 cards (some of my favorite models are only available in 720) I generally reduce the scale to 30% and play only 720 cards for a while. When I want to play some of the really old 480p cards, I reduce the scale to 20% and tolerate the blur. When I increase the scale on the 4K to 70% I can see a difference between 1080p and 3K cards, but I can tolerate it. At 70% 720p cards are ***** to me. At a scale of 90% I only play 3K cards.

A lot depends on your perception and your computer's graphics capabilities. When you upgrade do some experimenting to see what works for you. I never use full-screen scenes, but I understand they make more efficient use of a computer's graphics processors.

Hope this helps.

Pseudo_Nym
Joined in Aug 2019

11 post(s)
August 19, 2019
@Dorsai6
Thanks much. That makes sense to me.

Am still trying to figure some things out with this.
Have figured out that the preference check box for not going over native size is a good thing a far as image quality is concerned.
Dorsai6
Joined in Apr 2013

1025 post(s)
August 19, 2019
Have figured out that the preference check box for not going over native size is a good thing a far as image quality is concerned.

Not always. Experiment with it. Set different scales for the display and turn it on and off while a single clip is playing. You may discover that it reduces the size of a card that looked OK. In particular, see what happens when the scale is 70-75%.
Pseudo_Nym
Joined in Aug 2019

11 post(s)
August 20, 2019
Doesn't seem to change anything on my small monitor, if I kep the scale small enough to keep them on the screen.
Dorsai6
Joined in Apr 2013

1025 post(s)
August 20, 2019
Hmmmm. When playing a 720p standing clip in small mode at a size of 60% on a 900 pixel high screen you should see a noticeable change in the mode's size when you turn the Don't zoom checkbox on and off.

Except for a few cards with post processing errors, a Full size scale of 90% should have the model's head just below the top of the display. As long as the Don't zoom checkbox is off the card's resolution and the monitor's size don't matter. The iStripper software normalizes all clips to a size proportional to the scale and based on the screen size.
shelb
Joined in Apr 2019

2 post(s)
September 26, 2019
hey i have a mac book pro and i can play 4k res on other sites . but only when i open this app , only the apps display goes down significantly while my desktop and everything else is high res. as a result from playing through the app. even the 3k downloads play at 720p. any way to change the apps res? thanks
Dorsai6
Joined in Apr 2013

1025 post(s)
September 26, 2019
I also run iStripper on a MacBook Pro. In my case it's a 2016 model currently running OSX 10.14.6. I haven't noticed a problem playing 3K cards.

I'd like to help you, but I don't have enough information. Could you be more specific about what you are seeing and the settings you are using? How do you know you are seeing 720p resolution and not 3K?
shelb
Joined in Apr 2019

2 post(s)
September 26, 2019
hi, yeah my macs display is 15.4-inch (2880 x 1800) . the app itself has a low res considering all the other applications i run on my mac . its also very choppy and lags all the time . i use heavy softwares like adobe premiere pro where i edit 4k footage and istripper lags even more than premiere pro. also i noticed that if i download 720p then i cant really scale that much and if i download 3k then i can scale it to a 100+. so im not really sure cause i honestly cant make the diff between the quality.
Dorsai6
Joined in Apr 2013

1025 post(s)
September 26, 2019
the app itself has a low res considering all the other applications i run on my mac

You seem to have far more experience with graphics than I do. I have not noticed a problem with resolution playing iStripper on either my MacBook Pro or on a 4K 40" display on my 2013 Mac Pro.

its also very choppy and lags all the time

This is a problem. I've been reporting it for years with no improvement. For me it is a random problem that lasts 10-20 minutes and then goes away. When it is present, the latency for even a mouse click can be more than 2 minutes and the model will freeze every so often. This problem is much worse when I try to play more than one card in small mode on multiple displays on my Mac Pro. Since, for me, this problem only occurs occasionally, I've simply waited it out, but I'd really like Totem to fix it.

if i download 720p then i cant really scale that much

This is true. A 720p show has a nominal height of about 700 pixels but that includes enough space above the model's head for her arms. If you try to play a 720p card at a scale of more than about 40% on your MacBook you will begin to see jaggies since iStripper is trying to scale up the native image. I never play 720p card at more than 25% on my 4K display for this reason.

if i download 3k then i can scale it to a 100+

You probably will see some degradation in quality about 90%.

Try this experiment: Try playing different cards at different scales and turn the "Don't zoom over 100% of the clip's original size." checkbox in Settings on and off. When the scale is high enough you will see that some images are being scaled up.

You are not allowed to participate yet

As a free user of iStripper, you are not allowed to answer a topic in the forum or to create a new topic.
But you can still access basics categories and get in touch with our community !